Thursday, April 12, 2012

Stanley Donwood


Stanley Donwood

Throughout this research segment of the course, I have been trying to stumble upon graphic designers that are somewhat familiar to me, and this graphic designer surprised me more than I expected. Stanley Donwood is actually a penname for English author and artist, Dan Rickwood. Dan Rickwood is the artistic genius behind the popular musical group Radiohead (which happens to be one of my all-time favorite bands-practically every time I sit down to paint, draw, sketch, create….I put on Radiohead).

Rickwood met Radiohead front man and musical genius, Thom Yorke in art school, forming a close relationship, which entitled him to be the creator of almost all of the album artwork since 1994. He has gone on to earn many awards, even a Grammy for best recording package in 2002 for Amnesiac. Besides creating artwork for Radiohead, Dan Rickwood began to create and sell large screen prints in 2006, steering away from smaller works, “It's a way of getting pictures out in the way they should be seen; not as 4-colour litho on cheap paper, but as real pieces of artwork that have a much greater visual impact”.
The image above is the album cover art for "Hail to the Thief" (Radiohead).


1 comment:

  1. Great Post Jennifer... Making it personal makes it a strong one...

    ReplyDelete