Monday, April 30, 2012

David Carson




David Carson  http://www.davidcarsondesign.com/

I like to research graphic designers that I can make a connection to or have made an impact on me personally.  In my searching, I came across David Carson. Like all the other graphic designers I had researched, I am familiar with many of his designs, yet did not know of his name.  As an aspiring artist, I admit I feel a little guilty about this! I made a promise to myself to start looking more into things that catch my eye, whether it be a piece of art, a song, or a logo, I feel like I should know more about the people behind the art I see and hear everyday.  David Carson one of the more famous graphic designers and typographers.  Some of his most famous designs are the logos for all types of companies and people, from the House of Blues, Quiksilver, Yale University, Nine Inch Nails, all the way to President Obama. David Carson is best known for being one of the most influential graphic designers of the 1990s. I think this is crucial for his success since this was a decade where technology was evolving at a rapid pace, and to get ahead of it by jumping into graphic design and really, taking control of the direction that the field was going in, is admirable and definitely a huge achievement for him.  He is exceptionally skilled at taking type and photography and twisting and interweaving them together to produce a completely separate image that can convey deep and powerful messages.  Today, David Carson remains one of the most famous people in the graphic design industry, earning him a reputable image and creating a huge name for him. Here is a link to an interview with Carson from layers magazine, take a look its very interesting to read about all the projects and activities he immerses himself in other than graphic design and typography.

1 comment: