Sunday, April 22, 2012


Rob Janoff

When researching these graphic designers, I try to select individuals with whom I am familiar with their work or at least have heard of it at some point in my life.  When I came across Rob Janoff, I had never heard the name but one of his most famous logos we can all relate to. Rob Janoff is more of a corporate graphic designer; his work primarily is focused on designing for television commercials, logos, and advertisements.  In 1977, a man named Regis McKenna hired him to create a logo for Apple computers.  Today, his logo is seen on almost every Apple product, from computers to telephones to iPods.  Remarkably, this logo is recognizable across many generations, from the very young to the elderly; this is one image many people can identify with.  In my research I came across an interesting interview with Rob Janoff, in which I learned that there is sort of this cult obsession with the logo, where Apple fanatics tattoo themselves with various styles of this famous logo.  I found the interview to be really neat, I urge everyone to check it out, and meet the man behind one of the most common images we are seeing daily, and will continue to see for a very long time!  Rob Janoff is really an admirable man; to create something so simple that is easily recognized by so many people worldwide is a great feat and accomplishment, and to stay out of the limelight and preserve your humanity is even more admirable in this society.   http://creativebits.org/interview/interview_rob_janoff_designer_apple_logo
 The images above show just some of the different Apple logos and how it has evolved since its creation in 1977. (The date is incorrect, it should read 1977, not 1976).

1 comment: